The Next Generation Communications community this week could have been called “wireless week in review,” given the concentration of news. There also was an interesting development on the IPv4 to IPv6 migration front.
As can be seen from the below, the world seems to be fixated on LTE. News on that front included:
- Infonetics Research conducted a survey for its LTE deployment strategies report that noted that despite doom and gloom, there are better days ahead for mobile operators as they deploy LTE.
- VirnetX Holding Corporation updated its licensing declarations made to the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS (News - Alert)) and the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). VirnetX noted updates to its specifications for 3GPP Long-Term Evolution (LTE) and System Architecture Evolution (SAE) projects, in which believes its patent applications may prove important.
- ip.access announced that five different customers will be carrying out field and lab trials on the first LTE-only version of its new E-100 dual mode access point.
- Cavium Inc., a provider of highly integrated semiconductor products, revealed that its OCTEON Fusion platform will be deployed by Korean service provider SK Telecom (News - Alert) to power the company’s 4G/LTE small cell deployment.
- RF Micro Devices is now shipping its line of ultra-high efficiency power amplifiers to Samsung for use in the much-anticipated Galaxy S3 4G LTE smartphone.
Community host Alcatel-Lucent (News
) (ALU) had an eclectic week with announcements in the following areas:
- Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise released a new version of its VitalQIP IP Address Management (IPAM) solution. Developed with the help of customers it automates migration to IPv6.
- ALU’s Enterprise unit also granted a compatibility certification for Yealink’s (News - Alert) T2XPT2XP series of VoIP phones.
- ALU teamed with the Nigerian mobile service provider, Etisalat Nigeria to launch a new mobile advertising service based on ALU’s Optism.
Feature focus this week was on the following:
Service Providers: I wrote a piece on howservice providers (SP) have come to recognize that the path to success is going to have to include leveraging networking assets by enabling internal and external developers the ability to use APIs to develop new services. But SPs need help. This week it showed up in the announcement by Alcatel-Lucent of a new consulting and professional service practice that employs ALU’s proven lifecycle methodology for APIs to enable SPs to optimize the value of their networks for themselves and ecosystem partners.
My colleague Mae Kowalke had an interesting posting on why virtual desktops are only as good as the capabilities of the cloud service providers’ networks they are using.
Enterprise: We also took a look at an interesting posting by ALU’s Manish Sablok called, “To BYOD or Not to BYOD – that is the question!”You may be surprised by his recommendations as to all of the considerations that go into BYOD accommodation.
Industries: Digital healthcare is a big subject and the communications infrastructure that enable it, as exemplified by the ALU OmniPCX Enterprise Communications (News - Alert) Server, in particular its ability to deliver video conferencing, is playing a vital role.
Finally, for additional weekend reading you might wish to spend some time reading Alcatel-Lucent’s e-zine Enriching Communications, BYOD Accelerates Appetite for Personal Cloud . In line with all of the news about LTE I would also recommend the Alcatel-Lucent TechZine article, A Primer on Location Technologies in LTE Networks.
In closing, I will make my weekly pitch to take full advantage of all the features of our redesigned site. These include the Resource Center for access to whitepapers, videos and case studies. And if you were unable to attend, don’t forget to access the recent webinar, Prepare Your Network for the Multi-media & BYOD Revolution.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO West 2012, taking place Oct. 2-5, in Austin, TX. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO. Follow us on Twitter.