The Next Generation Communications Community once again has demonstrated it breadth, depth and particularly its global span this week. The news of note is a great place to start in regard to the latter.
China became a focal point of noteworthy items with the announcement from community host Alcatel-Lucent (News - Alert) that it had signed an almost $1 billion frame agreement with China Mobile, the world’s largest mobile service provider, to provide technology to move China Mobile (News - Alert) to an all-IP ultra-broadband network paving the way for future network functions virtualization (NFV) and cloud-based services. In addition, Alcatel-Lucent and Shanghai Bell where selected to improve mobile broadband in Togo.
And, China Mobile was also in the news with the selection by China Mobile Research Institute
of Spirent (News - Alert) Communications’ Landslide solution to verify the performance of its Evolved Packet Core (EPC) network.
In other industry news:
- Conemtech AB and Qulsar completed their creation of a joint venture to provide telecom operators next generation time synchronization solutions.
- International Datacasting Corporation (IDC (News - Alert)), a provider of solutions for digital content distribution, successfully equipped Brazil's Transamerica Radio with a critical technical upgrade so that the radio station is able to better distribute programming over satellite and IP networks.
- Alcatel-Lucent introduced a new suite of enterprise cloud-based collaboration and communication capabilities.
The features really show the variety of the community. In particular, you may find interesting my posting on an important new book that delves in great detail into the challenges of assuring user service quality in the cloud.
TMCnet Next Generation Communications frequent contributor Mae Kowalke had a trio of postings that make for great reading as well. These include:
- The impact deployment of dynamic next gen networks can have on improving railway operational efficiencies, enhanced safety and new services.
- A look at a new Bell Labs (News - Alert) study which quantifies the value to service providers of moving a next gen IP core solution.
- Why Cloud DVR popularity is rising as illustrated by a recent prestigious award that Alcatel-Lucent Award was given.
As is the custom in this space, for your weekend reading and watching pleasure, the links from the community home page will take you to a wealth of valuable news, whitepapers, videos, podcasts and case studies that are constantly being updated.
The home page also provides links to several eZines, and two recent Alcatel-Lucent TechZine articles, are worth spending some time with given the focus of this week’s features:
The other eZInes, GRIDTalk, TRACKTALK and LIFETALK have detailed articles into key market sectors that are equally as timely and informative.