This week in Next Generation Communications had some interesting news regarding the future as well as dealing with a significant current problem.
As to the future, Alcatel-Lucent (News - Alert) Bell Labs released a study on how the explosion of tablets is going to transform the way in which video is consumed in the next few years and what this is going to mean for operators in terms of their beefing up their IP edge. In the present, we all know about the growing threats that malware poses to our mobile devices, and Kindsight is out with enhancements to its network-based malware protection solution that I am sure you are going to wish to read about.
In other industry developments:
- Telchemy's (News - Alert) VQmon/EP will now be available as a standard feature in Polycom VVX 500, VVX 600 and VVX 1500 series of IP phones, which will now let every call's statistics to be collected and get recorded by Telchemy's SQmediator.
- Research firm iGR issued a report that in the U.S. the metrocell and femtocell markets will grow 240 percent and 86 percent through 2017, and will be key parts of new het-nets.
- Epitiro's latest ipQ LTE test solution, uses an app on an LTE (News - Alert) smartphone to measure network performance and is stated to be ideal for numerous smartphone "probe" deployment situations, or testing of special high-traffic events.
- In addition, Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) checked in with two customer announcements. First, ALU will be helping Bharti Airtel's (News - Alert) African arm Airtel Africa expand its mobile broadband network with mobile backhaul and IP/MPLS technology. And, it will be providing 4G LTE and fiber optics for Rio Tinto’s communications infrastructure in Western Australia.
This week we featured items relating to the deployment of small cells, new enhancements to the IP edge and interconnect in the data center.
- TMCnet Contributing Editor Susan Campbell, highlighted work done by Alcatel-Lucent on the five things operators need to know to properly deploy metro cell technology in densely populated and high traffic areas.
- At the same time, TMCnet Contributor Mae Kowalke looked at advance in service router aggregation necessary for enhancing service provider networks edges as they prepare for the growing amount of data traffic heading their way.
- Interconnection and cloud interoperability is a challenge in the deployment of carrier cloud and ALU has teamed with Citrix to provide a solution that addresses these complex issues.
My weekend reading suggestions include two Alcatel-Lucent TechZine articles:
The recent webinar, SDN: Let’s Cut The Hype, What is the Reality?, is one you should spend time with if you were not able to join us live. Plus, the community Resource Center has updated whitepapers, videos and case studies. And, by all means look at the ebook, Innovating Innovation, and the whitepaper Creating Your Smart Grid: A How-To Guide.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.