Let me start with a TMCnet welcome to our newly re-designed company website launched this week. We know a site as big and rich in content as ours can be daunting at times. We have been delighted with the positive feedback about our redesign and as always look forward to your comments about on how we can improve our value to you.
We also hope you have been enjoying our recent improvements to the Next Generation Communications community.
This week’s activities again covered a large swath of the industry, ranging from an insightful book about cloud reliability and availability to unified communications, and a look at that other data storm heading our way in network signaling.
As has been the case for many months, the wireless area tops the news. Developments included:
- ZyXEL Communications (News - Alert) introduction of its new all-in-one LTE512x series CPE to the North American market, and LTE gateway for fixed broadband.
- In Europe, Belgacom gave Alcatel-Lucent the nod for its Service Quality Manager (SQM) for improving the customer experience for the carrier’s corporate customers by managing SLAs.
- That other data storm hitting diameter signaling networks is being addressed with the introduction by Diametriq of it LTE (News - Alert) Diameter traffic calculator – a valuable tool to aid service providers get ready for what is heading their way in terms of the explosion of signaling traffic from new smartphones and tablets and all the apps they will be using.
- Anite’s (News - Alert) wireless device testing solution achieved 80 percent validation for Priority-1 TD-LTE interoperability test cases, for device functionality and performance in LTE Bands 38 and 40.
- And in another testing development, Spirent Communications launched LTE Call Reliability test solution on its 8100 Test System.
In other news, major South American operator Azteca Comunicaciones Colombia selected Alcatel-Lucent as its vendor to deploy a nationwide broadband network in Columbia. Alcatel-Lucent will also be making significant headlines when its CEO delivers the keynote address at the GITEX exhibition and ITU Telecom events to be held October 14-18 at the Dubai International Convention & Exhibition Center.
In the enterprise side of the business, the topic of how to successfully deploy unified communications (UC) has become a subject of much interest and debate. I will be moderating a webinar on the subject, “The Essential Ingredients for a Successful UC Strategy,” on September 27 at 11:00 AM that I hope you will be able to join.
Features this week included:
- Industry experts Eric Bauer and Randee Adams are out with a new book, “Reliability and Availability of Cloud Computing,” a comprehensive guide to the challenges and opportunities of cloud computing.
- The late Dennis Ritchie was one of the true giants of our industry. In honor of the first anniversary of the passing of this co-inventor of the C programming language and UNIX, Bell Labs (News - Alert) had a series of activities that looked back at the man and his contributions.
- Customer experience management (CEM) is not just a buzz word. As a new survey from Alcatel-Lucent and Heavy Reading highlight, the industry is putting it money behind the hype and spending is expected to rise next year.
1. TMCnet Contributing Editor Susan Campbell has an interesting feature on a case study by Alcatel-Lucent which highlights how quality call management has greatly improved German waste disposal company AREG’s ability to improve customer service experiences.
Additional weekend reading to consider includes:
Also check out the Resource Center for access to whitepapers, videos and case studies. In particular the featured eBook, Innovating Innovation, and the whitepaper Getting Smart about Smart Cities - Enterprise Market Analysis are worth a read.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO West 2012, taking place Oct. 2-5, in Austin, TX. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.