During this holiday week in the U.S. and Canada, there were lots of fireworks set off to celebrate. And, while not quite reason for exuberant displays, as news and features for next generation communications demonstrate, there are great emerging reasons for how service providers can better engage their customers and reduce churn, and bring both wired and wireless broadband capacity to where it is needed or desired.
A good place to start is with three interesting items on wireless:
- TMCnet Contributing Writer, Steve Anderson gave a nice rundown on the recent Alcatel-Lucent (News - Alert) introduction of its Alcatel-Lucent Metro Cell Express solutions, a combination of small cell technology and professional services designed to help service providers optimize their networks in high-trafficked areas.
- u-blox (News - Alert) acquired Cognovo to strengthen its position in high-speed LTE modem market.
- C Spire Wireless, who provides wireless services in the southern part of the United States, announced it would be relying on Alcatel-Lucent to provide 4G LTE services in Mississippi.
- Swisscom (News - Alert) (Switzerland’s dominant carrier with over six million customers) launched a new TV content cloud-based storage and retrieval service that is enabled by a multi-screen solution provided by Alcatel-Lucent.
The featured articles covered the mobile video experience as well as expanding the reach of broadband.
- Applications Enablement: With the explosion of smartphones and tablets more and more people are using their personal devices to have mobile video experiences. How to ensure these experiences are optimized has emerged as an important subject for service providers seeking to give their customers differentiated value.
- Dynamic Enterprise: Getting the most out of existing copper, not just bandwidth but performance, was the featured as TMCnet Executive Editor, Cloud Computing, Erin Harrison looked at how VDSL2, bonding and vectoring technologies enable copper to support broad array of new broadband services.
- Wireless All Around: Not to be outdone, and in fact emphasizing the importance of the release, TMCnet Contributing Editor Susan Campbell shared her views on the Alcatel-Lucent Metro Cell Express launch of its holistic small cell solution.
In the blogs, Mae Kawolke examined one of the markets that is likely to become extremely important in the next few years as small cell technology is deployed and competition increases and business models change to accommodate pervasive Wi-Fi that can handle roaming. Her posting, “Wi-Fi Roaming Takes the Stage --Get Ready for ANDSF and Hotspot 2.0 Capabilities,” is a great place to start getting educated on things like 3GPP Access Network Discovery and Selection Function (ANDSF) and Hotspot 2.0, which are enabling Wi-Fi roaming.
Mae was busy this past week and not only did she cover the capacity and portability side of the Wi-Fi experience but also why Alcatel-Lucent’s Greg Owens, director of marketing for customer experience at Alcatel-Lucent, feels that quality of experience (QoE) will be a big differentiator in the market. Read more about his views such as, “With growing pressure to reduce churn and increase revenues, service providers need to have a better understanding of how customers use their services.”
Get caught up this weekend
What follows are this week’s recommendation for some weekend enlightenment. Alcatel-Lucent’s e-zine Enriching Communications, Smart Cities Offer Untapped Opportunities, and, the Alcatel-Lucent TechZine article, Guide to Cloud Accountability, are worth a read. And, please click on the many valuable resources accessible from the community home page. In fact, go to our white paper library and put in Alcatel-Lucent for a number of new additions.
Finally, in case you missed it, I moderated a fascinating webinar recently, Prepare Your Network for the Multi-media & BYOD Revolution, you might wish to view and pass along to a colleague.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO West 2012, taking place Oct. 2-5, in Austin, TX. ITEXPO (News - Alert) offers an educational program to help corporate decision makers select the right IP-based voice, video, fax and unified communications solutions to improve their operations. It's also where service providers learn how to profitably roll out the services their subscribers are clamoring for – and where resellers can learn about new growth opportunities. For more information on registering for ITEXPO click here.
Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO. Follow us on Twitter.